< title>Simple Kim: The Beer Store

Simple Kim

Monday, September 25, 2006

The Beer Store

The Beer Store


Got your attention? The words sure got mine!


Sitting with my small group of friends sunday evening one of them turns to me and says, Kim, we had an interesting conversation with Savanna last Wednesday night. I began to think, OH MY...what now! My buddy just happens to watch kids on Wed nights while I am at screeching practice (see previous post). She said she and the other worker...that just happens to be a friend of my teenager...were watching Savanna play. They watched her put her baby doll in the car with her and say to her "Hurry up, lets go to The Beer Store"!!! My friend knows my history and that I almost never drink so she knew there was a funny story behind it. So, here it is.


Early one morning after dropping off my teen at school the toddler and I were heading back home and she states.."Mom, can we go to The Beer Store?"


I am really lucky to be alive. It is an absolute miracle these words from my then 3 year old didn't cause me to wreck the car. My little mind began to race. WHERE and from who has she heard these words? Certainly NOT from me.


When I decided to leave my alcoholic husband in the D/FW area I very intentionally chose a town close to my mom that was DRY. I take pride in my DRY town, but I do on rare occasion have a drink. Not more than a few a year so it seemed to me impossible that my child heard this awful term from me. At the time she stayed with my mother and grandmother while I worked. My mom might have a few drinks each decade and my grandmother until the day she died a month ago never had a drop so that was also not a possibility.


As all the thoughts were racing in my mind we stopped at a light and my daughter says excitedly "There it is, there it is! Can we go get a 'krippie treat' from the Beer Store?" I know that a krippie treat is also known as a rice krispie treat but the important thing at the time was The Beer Store. I asked why she called it The Beer Store. She looked at me as if I were blind or just stupid and carefully explained that the white thing on the glass by the door is a POLAR BEAR, and that there are all kinds of bears and that Diego talks about the others, I should watch it. So that makes it The Bear Store! Oh, silly me.

So, now I wonder how many people at my church think poor Savanna takes frequent rides with her mom to The Beer Store!

3 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! The Beer Store! I am laughing so hard at Miss Savanna. She cracks me up! Can you imagine the conversations she and Mattie must have had? Beer stores and curvage. I don't even want to know. You know, Mattie told the extended session workers that her REAL dad's name was Richard. (she meant her dad's real name was Richard.) Scary what they tell at church!

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh...and thanks for the "Terrific" title! I feel so special! :)

 
At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am busting a gut right now! Kids say the darndest things. ESPECIALLY at inappropriate times and places. My daughter is eight and still does it. This was such a good laugh...I needed it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home